Sunday, November 23, 2014

Post 7, Expansion Essay Article

Summary
In the article "Goin' Gongsta, Choosin' Cholita" by Nell Bernstein in the Signs of Life in the U.S.A. he talks about how teenagers in a small suburb near Oakland, CA have been racially claiming their identity not their own. Teenagers would rather be more of one race than other. Now and days teens aren't identified by what they were born into, their skin color or where you come from but what they wear, the music they listen to and what type of words they use (p.662). It's hard to fit in and the only way for teens to be liked is to associate with a certain group. Sometimes teens are classified as wannabe's because they claim something they are not or associate with certain people or things that don't fit their race.
Response
I can relate to this topic in a way because of my race. Through out my high school years I was racially stereotyped because I was Hispanic, I wasn't able to wear red or blue without being considered being gang related. My principal straight up told me that I shouldn't wear red for a couple weeks because he didn't want me to be labeled as a "gangster". I was never revolved around that type of crowd and it irritated me so much! It sucks that some people have to choose who they are at such a young age, it shouldn't be like that. I've grown up around so many people claiming something they are not. I mean if I seen a white boy trying to be a gangster I wouldn't take him seriously. I guess everyone stereotypes in some way or another.

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post! sadly people all the time label us for the clothes we wear or because of the background we come from . and I do agree all people will stereotype in one way or another.. but , Sometimes it is not always a negative thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that your ideas for expansion of your essay are great. I also think that it is awesome that you can relate to your topic. This will allow you to expand in ways that relate to your own experiences. Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete