Sunday, September 14, 2014

Post 2, Virtual Popularity Isn't Cool- It's Pathetic

Summary
In Virtual Popularity Isn't Cool-It's Pathetic by Ian Daly, he talks about how being virtually popular isn't cool. Facebook has gone out of its way to make new friends easier. Social networks have made grown men giddy, spending most their time on Facebook instead of doing work. Men have been infected like if it was a rare tropical disease. People think that they are quasi-famous because they have 10,000 friends, but they're not really their friends. Men posting pictures half naked or drunk behaving like 13 year-old girls. Associating yourself with social networks makes you think that you are actually accomplishing something. Having a social network will make you lose control of your self-image. Many people have gotten fired over what they have posted on "their" social sites. Social networking sites have become an obsession that you have to update and take care of.

Response
What Ian Daly talks about in his article is so true. People have become so addicted to social networks not knowing it. I'm not even going to lie, when I was younger and had a Myspace, I loved having so many friends on there, even on Facebook. It would excite me knowing that I had that many "friends." I knew they weren't my actual friends but it felt good knowing that people liked what I posted and had comments on status's or pictures. Social media has expanded to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Kik, and many others. I have limited myself to just having Facebook and Instagram because I realized that I didn't really need all of them. When I first made my first Instagram I was sad that I didn't have that many followers but once I got up there in my followers I felt happy. I  had over 6k followers and it made me feel some type of way, having so many likes on my pictures. It sounds crazy put it's true, it's like a competition in how many likes you can get on your pictures and how many followers you have. At one point I did delete my Instagram and deactivated my Facebook, and I can live without it. I came to realize, at the end o the day, none of those social networking sites are beneficial in any way. So with that being said, I can happily say I'm not an addict! lol

2 comments:

  1. Hi Bianca!
    I truly agree with you the way you said that 'it's like a competition'. It is so true because sometimes people feel it so embarrassing about not having many friends and for not getting enough likes for their posts. I also used to spend a lot of time on chatting with friend on Facebook. But as the time passed by I realized that having so many friends and wasting time on chatting with them is not gonna help me the future. However, I did not deleted my Facebook account, but I did removed people I did not know form my friend list. So now I only have my family and some of my close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bianca,
    I really agree with what you said. We feel good having that many friends or followers on our social media. Its like being "popular" for a while. Everyone gets happy when logging into facebook, for example, and having alot of new notifications or friend requests. Although this is a great excitement for many, we need to face the real truth. Having many friends on our social media does not benefit us with our lives, because at the end, those are only "friends" on there. If we ever needed help from them they would not help us in any way, because they are not the real friends.

    ReplyDelete